Moving to Munich: Registering

Moving to Munich: Registering

By  Saturday, 4.6.2016, 19:38    Moving to Munich

If you are planning to stay in Munich for over three months, you are obligated to register your stay. The procedure is relatively simple. All you need to do is to download the “Registration Form” from the website of the city’s Department for Public Order, fill it out and go to one of the six "Bürgerbüro" offices of the City of Munich listed here:

Hauptgebäude KVR (closest public transport U3 / U6 Poccistraße) Ruppertstr. 19 80466 München

Pasing (S-Bahn 3, 4, 6, 8, 20 Bahnhof Pasing, Tram 19, Rathaus Pasing) Landsberger Straße 486 81241 München

Leonrodstraße (U1 Rotkreuzplatz) Leonrodstr. 21 80634 München

Orleansplatz (U5 Ostbahnhof; all S-Bahns) Orleansstr. 50 81667 München

Riesenfeldstraße (U3 Petuelring, bus 178 Anhalter Platz) Riesenfeldstr. 75/1 80809 München

Forstenrieder Allee (U3 Forstenrieder Allee) Forstenrieder Allee 61a 81476 München

dsc 0018

You are going to need to bring along ID and a “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” which needs to be filled out by your landlord and which you can also download from the website of the Department for Public Order. You have to repeat this every time you change addresses. Once you have registered, you will receive written confirmation (“Meldebescheinigung”). This document is important so keep it safe, as you will need it for various procedures, such as opening a bank account.

As you can see - the procedure is simple, but you have to plan some time for actually registering, since you might have to wait in line for a few hours at one of the Bürgerbüros. The following is taken from their official site:

“Our Residence Registration Offices (Bürgerbüros) are currently facing huge queues, ongoing IT-problems and staff shortages. Due to these circumstances our offices are often forced to close before the end of their opening hours.”

If you have family, you’ll have to register all members. The best thing is you come together.

You can also register another person’s stay, or have someone register your stay for you. In order to do that, there is another downloadable form, the “Authorisation Letter”. When using one, the following documents must be presented:

• Registration Form (filled out and signed by the person giving the authorisation). In case of several places of residence in Germany please submit in addition the form „Several Places of Residence“

• Confirmation of the landlord or property owner confirming the move-in date („Wohnungsgeberbestätigung“)

• Valid passport or identity card of all persons listed on the Registration Form

• Valid passport or identity card of the person holding the authorisation letter

Contact: Service-number: 089/23396000 (general information)

Office Hours: Mon, Wed, Fri - 07:30 - 12:00; Tues - 08:30 - 12:00 and 14:00 - 18:00, Thurs - 08:30 - 15:00

Rate this
Vilijam Zufic

Translator (German, Croatian, English), guide and unacknowledged blogging genius. Born and lives in Pula, Istria, Croatia. Educated in Germany, Croatia and the United States, economics graduate. Currently beginning to prepare to train for pulling himself up by his bootstraps. Married with children. Father of Croatia’s greatest football talent. Knows all there is to know about Istria, camping and bratwurst. At the verge of something big with the only German language blog on Istria No sense of humour. Here to meet like-minded people.

Website: Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
<< Expand >>
>> Collapse <<