Moving to Munich: Work Regulations for Foreign Professionals

Moving to Munich: Work Regulations for Foreign Professionals

By  Wednesday, 15.6.2016, 09:56    Moving to Munich

If you are a foreigner in Munich from countries other than those which are members of the European Union, the European Economic Area or a Swiss national, you may only reside in Germany for the purpose of working if you have a residence permit which explicitly authorises you to do so. Australian, Israeli, Japanese, Canadian, South Korean, New Zealand and US citizens may obtain such a residence permit from the relevant foreigners authority. They can obtain also obtain such a permit once they have entered the country. They may not commence their work until they have the permit. All other foreign nationals must apply for a work visa from their local German mission before coming to Germany.

Foreign nationals with a recognised university degree have easier access to the labour market in Germany since August 1, 2012 under the EU Blue Card system. To obtain the Blue Card, they must provide proof of their qualifications and a concrete job offer that would provide annual gross earnings of at least €49,600. Approval of the Federal Employment Agency is required.


In the case of highly qualified foreign nationals with a background in mathematics, IT, the natural sciences or technology as well as medical doctors, the EU Blue Card conditions still apply, provided they are offered the same salaries as comparable German employees and their annual gross earnings would be at least €38,688. In these cases the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is required. Simplified rules on access to the labour market also apply to academics, highly qualified professionals, executives, senior employees, specialists and similar groups.

In the case of foreign nationals with vocational qualifications, such as care specialists, there are now improved options for gaining recognition for qualifications obtained abroad. In addition to this, for professions experiencing shortages, access to the German labour market has been made possible without a prior labour market test, as long as the worker’s qualification is recognised as equivalent to a German qualification under the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Professional Qualifications Act.

kvr aufmacher

Qualified professionals usually have a completed apprenticeship, a university degree or an equivalent qualification. This also includes for example, executive employees, specialists, self-employed persons, freelancers, commercially active persons, scientists, researchers, artists, professional athletes and sport-coaches. The City of Munich has a Service-Center for International Professionals (Service-Center für internationale Fachkräfte) at which you can get information and help regarding visa, immigration of family members, schooling, finding a job, etc. You can also contact the Service-Center before you arrive in Munich to make an appointment via email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. The Service-Center is located at the Ruppertstraße 19 in 80337 Munich.

Rate this
Vilijam Zufic

Translator (German, Croatian, English), guide and unacknowledged blogging genius. Born and lives in Pula, Istria, Croatia. Educated in Germany, Croatia and the United States, economics graduate. Currently beginning to prepare to train for pulling himself up by his bootstraps. Married with children. Father of Croatia’s greatest football talent. Knows all there is to know about Istria, camping and bratwurst. At the verge of something big with the only German language blog on Istria No sense of humour. Here to meet like-minded people.

Website: Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
<< Expand >>
>> Collapse <<